Friday, January 27, 2012

Jr.High Basketball last Away game...

We just got back from Lake Jackson and had a great time at the basketball games with Rebecca's team and the Jr. High boys team....these kids have really developed their game this season... it was great watching them come up against the tallest girls they have ever played...and they did not faint.... Rebecca is tall herself...one of the girls on the other team Rebecca nicknamed "The Great Wall Of China"...this girl was tall and strong and could play this game and play it well....it was hilarious watching our girls try to jump high enough to try and block her....and play defense on her... and try to shoot with her on them... and not to mention our girls trying to get up on her and take the ball away....they were like gnats trying to bother a bear...but the bear took no notice of them, and when they did try to take her down... they pinged off of her , like the bear had some sort of gnat repellent on....up and down the court they went....legs pumping, pony-tails flying in the wind...and the showdown at the net was...well, it was not hoop dreams...it was more like "Shoot, Shoot...." and our girls are like..."I can't, there's a tree (insert very tall and clever girl) in my way...."....dribble, dribble, dribble....skuffle, skuffle, shove, poke, smack, shoot, shoot, shoot....and then they are running down the court...with each little "hoop encounter" the pony-tails are becoming more miss-aligned and askew....sweat is beading down their beautiful faces....some of them are looking like "Bob, the Tomatoe..."....and still the game goes on....skuffle, skuffle, shove, poke, smacK....slap, squeak, skid....thud....some of them have literally "Hit The Wall"....they get knocked down...and they get up...no, they don't cry...they get mad and they want to win at all costs....so when the dust settles....and my child comes to me...and sits down on the bleachers....I notice another swollen...green, yellow and purplish color on her knee...I reach out to comfort her and she Yells:  "Don't touch me there, I'm fine... just don't touch me there...O...K....".....My child is a sports kid....I never know what she will find in the morning when she wakes up....there have been mornings that she has awoken with aches and pains and bruising....as she says..."Where did that come from...."go figure...I wonder how many of our girls are going to wake up tomorrow and say...."Where did that come from".....

Now on to the Jr. High boys game...it was an awesomely close game....feet pounding, pulses racing...hearts thumping....sweat pouring....wow...I felt like I was on the court....it's an amazing transformation that takes place in gangly jr. high boys when they step on the court to "PLAY" (and I use this term loosely)....they seem to add a whole new dimension to the game...I saw soccer plays, football tackles, track hurdles, baseball throw-downs to second base....seriously, the basketball was thrown down court from the hoop and went completely out of bounds, several times... and if all else fails just body slam-um....these boys know the pain of hitting the floor hard...then...jumping smack dab in the middle of a free for all for the ball...they don't seem to understand the boundaries of their physical bodies....it's like watching a dog play fetch....they don't get tired....they don't stay down, writhing in pain... no, they get knocked down and they jump back up... they get slammed into walls. and they laugh...they repel off of each other in massive waves from the aftermath of multiple collisions...they have no fear....all they know is "Get The Ball"...and "Get Out Of My Way"....FIERCE....I tell ya......they are FIERCE....

it's a shame to see the season end.... our girls and  guys are just getting warmed up...

You've got to love a kid that can take a lickin and keep on ticking...you should see all their little determined faces...I can almost hear what they are thinking..."You think you got game...we'll see....Bring It"....

The last game of the season is next Tuesday....I'll be there....and I'll keep you posted....

No comments: